This is the tutorial for the assignment I created called “Do a Talk Show Interview.” You can click on the link to view the assignment in the ds106 assignment bank.
1. Download a clip. Find an appropriate talk show clip to use for your interview. Length is up to you, but you’re going to want to find something less than ten minutes. Try to find a clip where you can isolate a lot of footage of just the interviewer, not the person being interviewed. That way it will look better when you substitute in footage of yourself.
2. Trim the video. Put the downloaded clip into a video editing program, like iMovie or Windows Movie Maker. I used Movie Maker. Once the clip is uploaded to the program, cut out the parts of the video that you don’t want. When you’re finished with this step, all that should be left is footage of the interviewer asking questions.
3. Plan your responses. Now that you’ve isolated the questions in the interview, come up with appropriate responses in order to make the interview flow nicely and seem realistic.
4. Record and format. Do a webcam recording of your responses, one at a time. Then put the responses into the appropriate places between the question clips. Play with the trim tool in order to make the video flow as well as possible.
5. You’re done! Check out what my interview looks like. I did an interview with Jimmy Kimmel. It was a lot of fun. Enjoy!